Why do you need to think about employee health insurance?
The working population is getting older, creating more diverse populations of staff – all with differing needs. One thing remains the same. Absenteeism is still a big problem for employers. In fact, 140 million days of work are lost each year in the UK due to sickness absence1. So the health and wellbeing of your staff is of the utmost importance.
- Prevent - Intervene - Protect
We encourage our clients to identify potential problems early and take prompt action to support staff as quickly as possible.
- Find the right balance
Engaging and educating your employees can mitigate your risks and reduce your costs while helping to ensure a healthier, happier and more productive workforce.
- Attract and retain your best people
More than half of employees place high value on the employee benefits provided by their employer, including health insurance. This is why 73% of employers have woken up to the power of using benefits to attract and retain staff2.
How our employee benefits consultants can help
As every client is different, so are your health and wellbeing requirements. Our specialist employee benefits team will provide advice on the most appropriate range of health insurance products and services that best fit your objectives.
GET IN TOUCH WITH AN EMPLOYEE HEALTHCARE EXPERT
Need expert advice? Call the Employee Healthcare team now, or complete our online form and we'll call you.
2. MetLife UK Employee Benefit Trends Survey 2017
Private medical insurance for independent schools
Cover to support your key staff and their dependants with immediate access to private consultations, diagnosis and treatment.
Private medical insurance
Cover to support your staff's wellbeing and provide immediate access to private consultations, diagnosis and treatment.
Cover for a range of treatments, hygienist visits and procedures for your employees.
Health cash plans
Cover to provide your staff with cash benefits for a range of day to day treatments from health professionals.
Health assessments to pick up potential health issues before they become major issues.
Employee assistance programmes
Employee assistance programmes (EAP) can deliver support to help maintain the emotional wellbeing of your employees. They provide a qualified counselling service to help contain problems and prevent them spiralling out of control.
Put in place services, controls and measures to get your people back to work in a suitable role as quickly as possible.
Group scheme leaver service
Do you have staff retiring or leaving your employment? Help them understand what happens to their private medical insurance when they leave your business to ease their worries and create a positive leaving experience. Our group scheme leaver service helps ensure they remain protected.
Business and leisure travel insurance
If your employees suffer unexpected difficulties when travelling for business purposes, you want to ensure that they are covered.
Maximise add-on services
Many health insurance policies offer additional features that may strengthen your health and wellbeing offering, so it is worthwhile understanding exactly what your policies will provide – we can help you with this.
Dedicated employee benefits consultant
We take customer service seriously. That’s why we make a service commitment to each and every client. As a client of Jelf, you will be assigned a dedicated employee benefits consultant to manage all of your healthcare insurance policies. We ensure that each consultant achieves Chartered Insurance Institute (CII) examinations so you can feel secure you’re dealing with industry experts.
Frequently asked questions
Private medical insurance policies have changed a lot since they were first offered and all insurers and providers acknowledge that they want to be of benefit to those who don’t need to claim, as well as those who do. While it varies by plan some of the features can include:
- Employee Assistance Programmes offering support on a range of issues including financial concerns and stress
- Discounted shopping portal and reward programmes
- Health calculators and online assessments to identify key health risks and provide coaching or guidance on how to reduce those risks
- 24/7 medical support helplines for reassurance and guidance
- Access to health and wellbeing information resources
- Discounted health screening and other insurances
This is a constant topic of debate in HR and employee benefit magazines. A fitter, healthier and more engaged workforce will mean better productivity and less staff turnover. It is always hard to put a figure on this, however it’s widely acknowledged to be of benefit for both the company and the staff.
- Helping companies to reduce illness and claims by providing support for prevention in the first place. Move the focus from reactive, to proactive, health and wellbeing support
- Insurers genuinely want to help people get healthier by better understanding their health risks and improving their wellbeing
- A way for everyone to see a benefit of being in the company PMI scheme
- To encourage more usage of their online facilities as most of these features are delivered by the web or through an app
There are lots of options available so please speak with us to discuss this further. It will depend on your budget, what you are looking to achieve and your staff culture.
- Pay for a lower cost option: reduced benefits PMI, cash plan, employee assistance programme, dental insurance, group life as examples
- Change focus to prevention over protection for all staff and roll out some educational support through healthy eating or exercise support, financial education workshops, flu jabs
- Look at options where the employees pay for the cover but you arrange access it to it – known as voluntary options.
Depending on your circumstances you may be able to change your PMI company and Jelf will facilitate this and make it as easy as possible. If you want to switch then there are 5 main things you need to consider:
- Significant conditions and claims – the key contact for the PMI scheme may need to sign a declaration advising the new insurer of any conditions, whether claimed for or not, that are taking place now, planned for the future or happened in the past for the whole membership. This will determine whether a transfer to a new insurer is possible and on what terms they will accept the group.
- Comparing your cover – even if your employees’ personal medical exclusions are the same with the new insurer, the overall cover and the terms and conditions of the new insurer are likely to be different.
- Paperwork – the paperwork required varies from one provider to another but there’s likely to be an application form to sign and you might need to ask your employees to provide a copy of their policy certificate as proof of their current cover.
- PMI is usually offered through an annual contract. If you are thinking of switching to another insurer, it’s best to consider doing this at your renewal date. At any other time you may lose premium so this will need to be checked.
- Pre-existing conditions – some insurers will not add any new medical exclusions. But others may price on the basis that the policy is re-underwritten and new medical conditions are excluded. The price will often be lower but your employees on cover could be left without cover for an on-going issue.
Read the latest employee wellbeing articles
The government is set to launch a recruitment campaign in an attempt to tackle the carer shortage.
An essential guide for managers into identifying, preventing and addressing workplace discrimination and harassment held in Worcester on 4th April.
What our clients say
Coming into a rapidly growing and evolving business, having a genuine partner who I could trust to assist with our benefits provision has proven invaluable. Great advice, friendly and efficient (and excellent) after sales service - I have been very impressed! Thank you Jelf for understanding our unique requirements, ensuring we have the best benefits for our team, and being a trusted partner.
Who we work with
Christopher Young has been - without exception - so patient, kind and understanding towards me, in addition to being a consummate professional.
As a client of Jelf for many years I can truly endorse their professionalism and business acumen.