Care home insurance

Why do you need care home insurance?

We understand that working in or running a care home can often be as challenging as it is rewarding. We care about care, and offer more than just insurance cover. We will help you keep up to date with the latest governing regulations and help you minimise risks in your workplace. We ensure that all relevant checks and surveys are carried out by the insurer and we will work with our Risk Management colleagues to conduct claims reviews.

  • Extensive knowledge
    We have dedicated care staff that work with the industry every day and therefore understand the problems that you, and you care home face and are there to help.
  • All in one place
    Aside from the specialist care home insurance products we provide, we can also cater for everyday exposures of fire, flood, theft and workplace liabilities. We make it easy to manage all of your insurance in one place.
  • Up to date with regulations
    You can be confident that we keep up to date with the constant changes in legislations, and fully meet the requirements of all of the UK’s governing bodies.

How our care home insurance experts can help you

We offer specialist advice and guidance for care homes to ensure your business is properly protected. We can help you insure your care home business to cover what matters most and those who matter most to you. With a range of specialities across the team, we are in place to help.

Who does our care home insurance cover?

We pride ourselves on finding high-quality-cover to give you a first-class-service. Whether you run:

  • nursing or residential care homes for the elderly
  • homes dealing with mental health and mental disorder categories
  • homes for service users with learning and physical difficulties
  • supported living and sheltered accommodation
  • day care services
  • children’s homes or agency
  • clinics and rehabilitation centres
  • hospices.

Governing bodies

We are always here for our clients, and work hard to ensure that our care home insurance products and services keep up with the pace of change. Our solutions fully meet the requirements of the following bodies:

• Care Quality Commission in England (CQC).
• Regulation Quality Improvement Authority in Ireland (RQIA).
• Care and Social Services Inspectorate in Wales (CSSIW).
• Care Inspectorate (CI) and Healthcare Improvement Scotland (HIS)

Free for all care home insurance clients

All of our care home clients benefit from valuable, free services from our professional advisers:

• CQC compliance and guidance – initial phone consultation to support you with compliance and best practice principles in relation to the Care Quality Commission, subject to conditions.
• Tax and legal guidance - initial phone consultation with expert business partners on topics and queries affecting your care home business.  

Efficient claims service

Should the worst happen and you need to make a claim, our specialist care claims team will be on hand to manage the process from claim through to settlement with minimum disruption to your day-to-day activities.

We can advise and negotiate claims for you. We also work with insurers closely to ensure outstanding claims are managed efficiently and reserves are challenged. Where necessary, we are able to provide our clients with claims data and highlight trends and opportunities for risk management intervention.

Frequently asked questions

Does my care business need Employers’ Liability Insurance?
Yes. Under the Employers’ Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act, all organisations that have staff are required by law to have Employers Liability Insurance.
When do I need to get Employers Liability cover for my care business?
You require employers’ liability cover from the day your care business starts employing staff. From the moment you have any person to whom you are responsible, whether paid or not, you are at risk of legal action. To qualify as "staff" a person does not have to be paid or under contract to you. It includes any person to whom you have a legal duty of care. This means that sometimes even sole traders will need employers’ liability insurance.
What is the minimum cover I need to have in place for my care business?
You are legally required to have cover for compensation of at least £5 million, but most policies will offer cover for £10 million. The cost of your care provider insurance premium is usually based on a number of factors including: the nature of your business; the number of people you employ (and/or the payroll cost); your previous insurance claims. In the case of larger organisations or where a number of employees are in one location, increased limits are recommended.
How much Public Liability insurance will I need?
The level of cover you need is related to the amount of risk faced by your business. Cover can be anywhere from £2m to £10m or beyond. The minimum value could be dictated by the clients you work with, or local authority contracts you have tendered for.